The University of Iowa

International Travel Health Insurance

Faculty and Staff Colleagues:

If you have plans to travel abroad, you need to know about the International Travel Health Insurance ( and Emergency Services Program, which has been adopted by the three Regent universities. The program is mandatory for faculty and staff who are traveling internationally on University business. It is also mandatory for students participating in study abroad programs or traveling independently for various purposes.

Faculty and staff travelers who are traveling on University business incur no cost for the program's coverages and services, highlights of which are listed below. To be covered, you must register your travel at least 10 days before your trip begins through the University's ProTrav system. Your trip request must complete workflow before your trip begins to ensure that insurance has been purchased and activated. When your trip is created in ProTrav, you will have an opportunity to share your itinerary and contact information with the University of Iowa, for use locating and assisting you should emergency assistance be required during your travels. STEP registry of your travel itinerary with the US Department of State is also strongly advised ( Highlights of program coverages and services, which are provided by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI), include:

  • medical expenses for accident or illness --expenses associated with emergency medical or security evacuation --option to purchase coverage for dependents accompanying UI faculty, staff, and students
  • 24/7 travel assistance
  • medical referrals and prescription replacement --assistance obtaining emergency cash or tracing lost possessions --assistance obtaining legal services or replacement of lost documents --pre-trip travel information, including security concerns regarding destination

The ProTrav trip creation and insurance enrollment process described here applies to individuals traveling abroad in the capacity of UI faculty and staff. If you are aware of UI students planning travel outside the US for educational enhancement, please refer them to Study Abroad for more information about insurance enrollment procedures and other requirements specific to student travelers ( Student travelers do incur a small fee ($1.31/day) for insurance coverage under our CISI policy, and complete a different enrollment process. Individuals who are not traveling on University business or who choose to extend their stay abroad for personal reasons may purchase (additional) insurance at their own expense. Coverage options may vary from the Regent plan.  For more information go to CareMed:

Any questions should be directed to:

Rebecca Olson, MBA, CEBS
Director of Benefits
University of Iowa
120 University Services Building
Iowa City, IA 52242-1911